How to Help a Family Member Accused of a Crime

While it may seem like a rare occurrence, the reality is that many people can easily get accused of a crime. When this happens, it would be stressful for both you and the accused. However, what is important is how you deal with it and moving on to the next steps to help them get out. Here are some tips that can help you when your loved one gets accused of a crime.

Be Wary of Calls

One of the most critical things that you should remember after the arrest is that you should never ask for details about what occurred if your loved one calls you from jail. Almost all police stations will record calls. Therefore, the prosecution can easily get a copy of that recording and potentially use it against your loved one. Instead, ask them about the address and name of the place they are being held and head there immediately.

Detained or Arrested

arrested person

You need to ask the officers to confirm if your loved one is actually under arrest because they may be free to go. You need to ask them if they are being detained or under arrest if they are not allowed to leave jail. If they are being detained, that means that they are holding the person for questioning. While being detained does not mean that they can leave right away yet are not under arrest, they can hold your loved one for a certain period. They can be detained for 1 to 3 days, depending on the suspected charge – it will help the officers decide if they should arrest or release them.

On the other hand, if the officers say that your family member is under arrest, you should ask why. You should ask what jurisdiction or county issued the warrant if the said arrest was created pursuant to a warrant. Afterward, you should ask how much the bond amount would be. For misdemeanors, an officer should easily be able to tell you how much it would cost. However, for more serious charges, it may need to be decided by a judge. Luckily, you do not have to pay for the full cost of bail by yourself; there are businesses offering bail bond aid in places like Salt Lake County in Utah that can help you.

The Right Representation

Of course, one of your first moves should be to find an excellent attorney to represent your family member. It would be best if you got a criminal defense lawyer to represent your loved one because they specialize in that area. The defense attorney may go to the facility immediately, which varies on the situation, to demand to speak to your loved one. By law, police officers must inform detainees that their lawyer is present and wishes to speak to them.

It could help interrupt a custodial interrogation. It can help your loved one avoid saying something that they did not mean to say. Oftentimes during interrogation, people can feel pressured to say things that are not true, which is why hiring a lawyer is crucial. That is why many people refuse to speak until their lawyer is present or until they talk to their lawyer first.

While it may be a stressful situation, you need to remain calm if your loved one got detained or arrested. You can follow the tips above to solve the situation as smoothly as possible.